Thursday, December 25, 2008
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Said poll, which you can read about in more detail on CNet, found that a not-insignificant percentage of adult women (46 percent -- almost half!) would rather give up sex than the Internet for two weeks. The number of men with the same preference was much lower (quel surprise!) at 30 percent. (In case you're very interested in this topic: Numbers for various age groups also are broken out in the article, with more details provided in a press release from Intel, which sponsored the poll.)
While it may not be earth-shattering info, what this does confirm is the growing importance of the Web in our lives, especially for the younger demographic (Gen Y and beyond).
Now, I really doubt that the poll asked the respondents WHAT exactly they would be using the Internet for during those two weeks ... doesn't surfing for porn count as sex? Just asking ....
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
I'm enjoying the challenges and duties of the new gig (as a copywriter), and there are numerous benefits to the work environment -- such as a relaxed (read: noncorporate) workplace, close location (5 minutes from my house!), entrepreneurial (aka freewheeling) spirit, etc.
But I'm also noticing that my clothes are starting to get a little tighter each week. Now that I'm basically sitting for eight hours a day, exercising a little less and eating out a little more, the weight has started creeping on.
Hoo-boy: I'd better watch out, or the weight could pile on before I realize it. I've been trying to do things like walk down the stairs and around the office several times a day, take a 15-minute brisk walk a couple of times a week, etc. But obviously these actions aren't quite cutting it. What I really have to do is cut down on my calories.
So: Farewell, Dove Dark Chocolate Promises. ... sigh .... I'll miss you ....
Sunday, December 7, 2008
OK, so I totally stole these from a great article from Real Simple that I found on Yahoo. The article, aimed at Baby Boomer women, lists 19 ways to look younger. Here are my faves (in no particular order):
1. Drink lots of water (aim for 64 oz. a day). It flushes out your system and keeps everything -- including your skin -- hydrated. Choose plain H2O over sodas and other liquids whenever possible.
2. Wear bright and jewel-tone colors to brighten your skintone (which tends to turn dull and sallow as you age.)
3. Get rid of those dated jeans (which scream "over the hill") for a flattering, up-to-date style -- but NOT ones aimed at teens or 20-somethings (which scream "trying too hard.")
4. Don't wear "grannnie" footwear just because it's comfortable. I, too, have a hard time with my feet these days, and I certainly can't wear a lot of the extreme, high-heeled and pointy styles out there, at least not for long. But there are plenty of shoe makers today who manage to combine fashion AND practicality. Find them!
5. Don't wear makeup with glitter in it -- that just settles into lines and wrinkles, magnifying them. Instead, look for products with "luminous" or "shimmer" effects for a subtle, flattering effect.
6. Don't forget the sunscreen!!
Monday, December 1, 2008
I'm not sure there are any studies out there to prove it, but I have a theory that during tough economic times, when most retail stores are struggling to stay alive, sex stores are doing just fine. After all, condoms are cheap!
To bolster this theory, along comes an article in BBC News online that says Brits are turning to sex as a way to save money but still have fun and not feel like they are depriving themselves. In a survey of 2,000 adults in Great Britain, sex was their favorite free activity, ahead of window shopping and gossiping.
Of course, any news story would not be responsible if it did not carry a caveat reminding people to engage in safe sex -- so, consider that warning as part of this blog, as well!
Have fun, but stay safe!